Though I'm a little cryptic about what this project is, I can share something else that's been on the back of my mind. Have you ever noticed the paucity of gecko-centric objects? I mean, take greeting cards as an example. Cards have pictures of the usual -- dogs, cats, birds -- but also critters -- dragonflies, frogs, butterflies. But NO GECKOS.
Now when I step into a store, I can't help but look for gecko-related objects. So far, Paper Source and Papyrus have been disappointing. I've only found one store that carries gecko cards, and it's an independent store called Morning Silver in West Newton Center, in Massachusetts, that sells a lot of kitsch. The first time I went there, they had these gorgeous cards.
So pretty! Like mosaics. Definitely inspired by Middle East Art, though the company that produced them, Bug Art, is British. Of course, I praised the store management effusively for carrying these and bought out their entire supply. It set me back nearly $100.
Of course, big surprise that the second time I visited the store, almost a year later, they had more gecko things! I found this very abstract rendition of geckos, along with a miniature glass figurine.
Another $50 given to the store, as I buy them out of these. The supply is limited, and only special people get a Gecko Card.
Keep your eyes peeled for geckos and let me know if you find anything. I'm like the crazy cat person who collects cat things. Except I'm a gecko lady. Maybe the only one?
No comments:
Post a Comment